This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to provide a first aid response to a casualty. The unit applies to all workers who may be required to provide a first aid response in a range of situations, including community and workplace settings.
No licensing, legislative or certification requirements apply to this unit at the time of publication.
Course Elements and Performance Criteria
1. Respond to an emergency situation
- Recognise an emergency situation
- Identify, assess and minimise immediate hazards to health and safety of self and others
- Assess the casualty and recognise the need for CPR
- Seek assistance from emergency response services
2. Apply appropriate first aid procedures
- Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) in accordance with Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) guidelines
- Provide first aid in accordance with established first aid principles
- Display respectful behaviour towards casualty
- Obtain consent from casualty where possible
- Use available resources and equipment to make the casualty as comfortable as possible
- Operate first aid equipment according to manufacturer’s instructions
- Monitor the casualty’s condition and respond in accordance with first aid principles
3.Communicate details of the incident
- Accurately convey incident details to emergency response services
- Report details of incident to workplace supervisor as appropriate
- Maintain confidentiality of records and information in line with statutory and/or organisational policies
4. Evaluate the incident and own performance
- Recognise the possible psychological impacts on self and other rescuers involved in critical incidents
- Participate in debriefing to address individual needs
Application of the unit
This unit applies to work in a wide range of settings where workplace emergencies may occur, such as:
- childcare centres
- Family Day Cares
- aged and community care
- sports facilities
- industry enterprises and other environments.
- Assess the casualty and recognise the need for first aid response
Application of this unit also relates to:
- Responding to an emergency situations
- Applying appropriate First Aid Procedures
- Communicating the details of the incident
- Evaluate the incident and own performance
Course Assessment Methods
- Written Question and Answer
- Practical Assessments – Demonstration of Skills in applying CPR on adult and infant resuscitation in line with ARC Guidelines for the purpose of assessment of CPR procedures
- The use of Automated External Device (AED) training device
- Reporting workplace injury, trauma and/or illness record, or other appropriate workplace incident report form
- Role play/scenario based questions and multiple choice questions.
Course Entry Requirement
- Students must be over the age of 18yrs old
- Reading and writing – a learner will be able to read, comprehend and write a range of texts within a variety of contexts.
- Oral communication – a learner will be able to use and respond to spoken language.
- You will also be required to undertake practical training and assessments at floor level which includes performing at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) ((5 cycles of both compression and ventilation) on an infant and an adult resuscitation manikin placed on the floor.
Course Duration: 6 hours
Course Delivery Location
Deliver Mode: face to face
The Course will be delivered once a week at Wisdom Skills Training Academy training facility. in the classroom and a simulated work environment. The class room address is shown below
Suite 2, Level 1, 100 – 103 Rawson Street, Auburn NSW 2144
Course Fees $140.0 ( to be paid on the course delivery day)
Recognition of Prior Learning
- We offer recognition of existing skills and knowledge, please contact us to discuss any applications for recognition.
Requirements for Completion
- You must attend all of the programmed hours and satisfactorily complete all of the assessment tasks given in the class.
- Once students have commenced a training program, we guarantee to complete all training and assessment as advertised
When you are deemed competent you will gain a nationaly recognised Statement of Attainment for HLTAID003 Provide First Aid. The certificate will be valid for 3 year from the date of completion. The Australian Resuscitation Council Guidelines recommends this qualification be refreshed or renewed every 36 months. The certificate will be issued on the same day if all assessment has been completed.
Course timetable: Once a week at Wisdom Skills Training Academy training facility.
You can access or download the course brochure here: HLTAID003 Provide First Aid
To apply this course call (02) 8957 6125