This unit of competency covers the requirements for CPR, First Aid, Asthma and Anaphylaxis for those working in an education or care setting. The unit covers the skills and knowledge required to provide a first aid response to infants, children and adults.
This unit is for educators working in family day care, long day care and support staff working within an education and care setting who are required to respond to a first aid emergency, including asthmatic and anaphylactic emergencies. This unit of competency contributes towards approved first aid, asthma and anaphylaxis training under the Education and Care Services National Law, and the Education and Care Services National Regulations (2011).
- Demonstration of practical skills
- Verbal questioning
- role play/scenario based questions and multiple choice questions.
When you are deemed competent you will gain a nationaly recognised Statement of Attainment for HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting.The certificate will be valid for three (3) years from the date of completion. The certificate will be issued on the same day if all assessment has been completed.
Course Structure and Content
- Assessment and management of emergency situations and casualty
- Apply life support skills in accordance with Resuscitation Council guidelines
- Operation of automated external defibrillator
- First aid management for an emergency situation
- Infection control principals and procedures
- Signs and symptoms of an asthma attack- mild, moderate and severe
- Common allergic and non-allergic asthma triggers
- Provide asthma first aid management
- Use of asthma bronchodilator medication using a spacer
- Develop risk minimisation and management strategies for asthma and anaphylaxis
- Define the term allergic reaction/anaphylaxis
- Recognition of allergy and anaphylaxis and those at risk
- Signs and symptoms of allergic reaction
- Risk factors
- Provide first aid management of severe allergic reactions and anaphylaxis
- Action Plans
- Use of adrenaline auto-injector devices Epi Pen
Duration: 6 – 8 hours
Deliver Mode: face to face at our Auburn training center.
Tuition and Resource Material Fee
Course timetable: Once a week at Wisdom Skills Training Academy training facility.
- Students must be over the age of 18yrs old
- Reading and writing – a learner will be able to read, comprehend and write a range of texts within a variety of contexts.
- Oral communication – a learner will be able to use and respond to spoken language including some unfamiliar material within a variety of contexts.
- Numeracy and mathematics – a learner will be able to recognise and use a variety of conventions and symbolism of formal mathematics
Please note: The course content, structure, material may change at any time without notice. The subject sequence is for illustrative purpose only and may not be the sequence of training. The course fees, schedules, content and instructors are subject to change without notice.